Wish Granters are absolutely essential to fulfilling each child’s wish and work in teams of two or three to meet with the wish child, help the child determine his or her heartfelt wish and help plan and fulfill the wish!
*We are currently full for wish granters in San Francisco, unless you are fluent in Spanish*
Outside the city, we are recruiting for volunteers in the following areas:
The East Bay, especially in the outer East Bay, such as Brentwood, Antioch, Oakley, etc. Unfortunately, we are full for wish granters in the cities along I-680 between Walnut Creek and Dublin, unless you are bilingual.
- The Fremont area
- Humboldt/Del Norte Counties
- South Monterey County, especially Salinas, King City, Soledad, Gonzales
- Lake County
- The Mendocino County coast (Fort Bragg, Mendocino, etc.)
Spanish speakers needed in all regions of our chapter. 1 out of every 5 of our wish families is a Spanish-speaking family, so having volunteers who are fully fluent/bilingual is a huge need.
We are also accepting new wish granters who are bilingual in the following languages: Vietnamese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Arabic, and Tagalog.
- Sign up for wishes as a team – either with a partner of choice or with an assigned partner
- Visit the Wish Child and help him/her determine their one true wish
- Complete wish paperwork and obtain necessary documentation
- Put the magic into each wish by planning and delivering “wish enhancements” – special, creative touches throughout the wish process that keep the child excited about the wish
- Solicit for in-kind donations (goods or services) and help us use resources wisely
- Serve as the liaison between the family and the foundation – keep the family updated on the status of the wish, answer questions, and develop a positive rapport with the child and family
- Plan “send off” party or “presentation” party as appropriate for the wish
- Be a reliable, communicative, and productive member of the “wish team” – work closely with volunteer partner and the Make-A-Wish staff to create the best possible wish experience for the child
- Each wish on average requires 10-15 hours over a span of about 6-9 months, however each wish can vary greatly in the time it takes to fulfill the wish and time required as a Wish Granter
- Ensure all photos and communications from the wish family before, during and after the wish get passed along to the office.
Meetings with Wish Kids and their families are typically scheduled for weekday evenings or weekends based upon the schedules of the Wish Granters and Wish Family
- Four hour training is required
- All new granters will observe a wish with a mentor who will guide them throughout their first wish
- Love for children and comfort interacting with children ages 2½ to 18
- Excellent people skills and the ability to work with people from different backgrounds and children with various medical conditions
- Creative energy with a desire to make each wish unique and magical
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to respond to the family, fellow volunteers, and foundation staff in a timely manner (including email)
- Resourcefulness and willingness to solicit for in-kind donations
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Willingness to drive up to one hour to visit with wish child and family
- Ability to meet face-to-face with wish child and family on several occasions, including the initial visit, send off/presentation party, or to deliver wish enhancements
- Possesses enough flexibility to schedule visits with the family and other granters
Please contact: email@example.com or 415-982-9474 for more information
Submit a Volunteer Inquiry Form