Volunteer Graphic Designer
At Make-A-Wish, we grant wishes for kids with life-threatening medical conditions. The Greater Bay Area Chapter has its headquarters in Oakland, CA, and we grant wishes in 17 counties of Northern California. Our chapter is one of over 60 chapters across the US that work under the umbrella organization of our national office, Make-A-Wish America.
Make-A-Wish is going through a rebranding process, so our marketing department is looking for someone who is comfortable using Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop and Acrobat Pro. We would like someone who can begin as soon as possible, and can help for the next few months as we transition all of our existing collateral from our current branding to our new branding, which includes a new logo, fonts and iconography, as well as an expanded color palate. Our needs include reformatting and rebranding various office collateral and digital assets, including stationery, brochures, fact sheets, newsletters, etc. Projects may also include basic photo editing (cropping, color correction, etc.), and creating/editing templates in Microsoft Publisher. For the most part, assignments will have little-to-no room for creativity, as you will be working within a strict set of brand guidelines.
We will provide access to Adobe Creative Cloud programs, and our branding guidelines. You will be working with our Designer & Digital Strategist, primarily, with input from our Marketing Director. This volunteer opportunity can be done either in our office in Oakland, or from home if you have access to Adobe Creative Cloud software. We are looking for a minimum of 4 hours per week.
- Experience using Adobe Creative Cloud (Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop) and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Ability to adhere to branding guidelines, ensuring correct use of logo and all brand assets
- Precise attention to detail
- Understanding of the importance of file naming and version control
- Experience using Microsoft Publisher is a plus but not required
Please send a link to your design portfolio or 2-3 design samples, ideally showcasing layout projects, and your availability to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Appreciation Assistant
At Make-A-Wish, we grant wishes for kids with life-threatening medical conditions. Volunteers are the driving force of Make-A-Wish, out in the community, meeting with wish families, presenting the wishes, and raising awareness and funds to grant the wishes. The Volunteer Services Department is looking for a volunteer to assist with recognizing and appreciating the volunteer base.
We are looking for a volunteer who can help 3-4 hours per week, on a regular, weekly basis. The shift must be done during our office hours – 9am-5pm M-F. We can mutually decide what shift time works with your schedule (e.g. Monday 9am-1pm, Friday, 1pm-5pm, or whatever works best with your schedule). We also require that the volunteer be willing to agree to a minimum six-month commitment. All the office work will be done at the Make-A-Wish office in Oakland.
- Sending thank you cards to volunteers who are completing wishes
- Forwarding photos, wish art, and words of wish families to volunteers
- Sending birthday cards to volunteers
- Tracking volunteers who are reaching milestones of service (5 years, 10 years, etc.) and acknowledging those milestones
- Posting volunteer highlights on the volunteer Facebook group
Required skills and experience:
- Creative skills to make thank you and birthday cards look special
- Experience with Facebook (must have your own Facebook account)
- Experience running queries in databases, and exporting information, especially Raiser’s Edge
The Volunteer Appreciation Assistant must be at least 18 years old. If you are interested in this position, please email our Volunteer Manager at email@example.com to express interest, and include a resume.
Donor Appreciation Assistant
At Make-A-Wish, we grant wishes for kids with life-threatening medical conditions to enrich the human experience with hope, strength, and joy. The Greater Bay Area Chapter is headquartered in Oakland, and covers 17 counties of Northern California, granting an average of 370 wishes per year. In order to raise money to fund the wishes of the children we serve, we work with individual and corporate donors. For each donation, we need to send the donor an official thank you letter for his/her tax purposes, and to show our appreciation for the gift.
We are looking for a volunteer who can help 3-4 hours per week, on a regular, weekly basis. The days and times can be flexible, but would ideally be Monday or Friday. All the office work will be done at the Make-A-Wish office in Oakland, during our office hours (9am-5pm M-F). We also require that the volunteer be willing to agree to a minimum six-month commitment.
- Running queries in the database to pull lists of donors to thank
- Printing, folding, stuffing, and mailing official donor acknowledgment (thank you) letters.
- Data entry – entering corporate sponsor information in our database, Raiser’s Edge, as well as tracking interactions with the companies
The volunteer should be an organized, administrative volunteer with an attention to detail. Experience with Microsoft Excel and Word required. Experience with data entry and administrative work required. Experience with Raiser’s Edge (or similar database) strongly preferred. The Donor Appreciation Assistant must be at least 18 years old. If you are interested in this position, please email our Volunteer Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org to express interest, and include a resume.